Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Blog Assignment #1

  My name is Melissa Ridderbjelke, everyone calls me Missy. I am a mother of two children; I am blessed with a beautiful daughter who is 16 and a prankster son that is 11. I am recently divorced after 20 years of marriage. My children and I are very close and learning a whole new life with just the three of us. We love to go camping, boating, fishing, hiking, cycling, and anything to do with the outdoors. The three of us also enjoy going to concerts, we have found that to be a new favorite past time.
  I started in the education field after my daughter started school. I was a substitute teacher for the private school she attended. I really enjoyed working with the children. After my son started school, I became a sub for the Mobile County Public Schools. I knew I had found my calling. I loved working with children. I like the children everyone else has given up on. They are important and are usually pushed to the side. So, I started attending Bishop State Community College. I never really thought I would get in, but tested highly on the entrance exam. I am now a full time employee for Mobile County Public Schools as a Para Professional. I work in the Pre-K Special Education Department. I enjoy my job and am thankful to be in the classroom helping others. I was a high school drop out and know the importance for children to receive their education no matter what their circumstances are.
  My favorite things to do in life are hang around my children and laugh!!! I love to laugh. I also love to ride Harley Davidson motorcycles. I own a Jeep Wrangler that I love to take the top off and drive with no place to go, mostly to the beach. I also like to read, yes cute love stories with happy endings. After all isn't that what we all want in life; happy endings?

6 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    It sounds like you have a lot of fun with your kids! I'm sure your classroom has the potential to be a lot of fun also. I also like the "trouble" kids. They keep me on my toes! My so called "second mom" is a para professional and I loved going to visit her class when I lived in Georgia. I am excited to see your future posts!

    Jacey-Blaire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I am excited to have the opportunity to not only learn but understand the technical side of the classroom, it can add so much to the learning experience for the children we have the opportunity to lead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Missy! I was so excited to see you in class the other day. It's crazy to think that we have ended up in the same class. I see that you're enjoying being a Special Ed. Para. I really like it, too. When I moved out of the P.E. department to Special Ed., I was pretty disappointed. But to be honest, it has been a blessing in disguise. I now know what you mean about the kids that get pushed to the side. These kids have so much to say if someone would just listen. I'm hoping with our experiences with these children, it will better prepare us for our classrooms. Do you think you would rather be in a Special Ed. class or teach a General Ed. class?
    By the way, your blog is looking great! Keep up the good work!
    Deana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Missy!!! Your story really touched me.I myself sub in the Monroe County district on days I am not really busy, and I really enjoy the kids. I can honestly say those kids that are pushed to the side, have so much to say. Most of them are very intelligent kids, but do not have that extra push to go forward, am I want to continue to be one that encourages them and take out extra time to motivate them to do their best. I also enjoyed reading how close you and your kids are. My family is also very close. You seem to be a great Mother and Im sure You will be an excellent teacher!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if you are our only Harley student? I think so. And you can be an outdoors learner in EDM310. All you need is a Wi-Fi connection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missy,

    I'm Allie and one of the EDM310 staff members. Welcome to the course! I enjoyed reading your about me! You sound like a super fun person, and I'm excited to get to know you in the lab!

    Excellent post. Keep up the great work!

    Allie

    ReplyDelete