Monday, June 6, 2011

Blog Post #2

monkey playing with computer"Did You Know?"
 This slide show is set up to show statistics that will impact your thoughts. The author did a great job at keeping your attention by the continuing changing slides and the statistics. I found myself really thinking about the changing times and just really how much we as society depend on technology. I enjoyed the learning about when texting first took off and how far is has come over the years. This makes me sound a little old, but when texting first came out I remember telling someone that it was crazy to sit and type out everything you had to say when you could just pick up the phone and call. Now I don't now how I would live without it. I can answer the question the author was asking, no I did not know a lot of what he was talking about. Now, thanks to his slide show, I do know some important statistics.
"Mr. Winkle Wakes Up"
I can honestly say that in this EDM310 class that I feel like Mr. Winkle. I thought I had some knowledge of technology, but in the real world students would be passing me up in knowledge about technology. I am glad that I am awake and learning. I am not feeling bad as Mr. Winkle did but I am surely feeling like a fish out of water. I know that by the end of the semester I will have learned through hands on experience without a burp back education. I didn't totally agree with the video because if Mr. Winkle walked into a classroom of today, the teacher would not just be lecturing and students writing. Since the Smart board has come into play in the classroom it adds an element of interaction to the lecturing part of education.
"The Importance of Creativity"
I could listen to him all day! I like the fact that he took the truth about learning and made it comical. I think that so much pressure is put on teachers that they don't have the opportunity figure out the learning needs of  the children in their classrooms. I like the story he told of his sister, today there are so many children that if taken the time could learn in a way that is suitable for them. Today doctors are so quick to put children on medication, instead of watching the child and truly finding out what their interest are and what it would take to let them learn in a more creative way. Don't get me wrong I am not anti-medication, but I feel we as educators should let children be more creative, don't hold them back so that a schedule can be stuck to.
I completely agree with Sir Ken Robinson on his views on letting creativity back into our classrooms and I will just say it, let music back into our classrooms, let children express themselves.
Cecelia Gault "Interview with Sir Ken Robinson"
I have to say that it is sad that the United States with all of the resources, technology, and knowledge has such a high dropout rate. I was a high school student that played sports, was involved in clubs in school and yet in the end did not feel I had what I needed to educationally to make the decision to stay in school. I did attend a very small private school, but no one ever mentioned college to me. I was never encouraged to go to the next level. That is sad to me. I feel like our educational system is not encourage but a select few to take it to the next level. I think all children should be encouraged to use their minds and create. Technology can help students to become more creative. The Smart board draws the student in with activities, if teachers would use them properly, students could really  excel.
"Harness Your Student's Digital Smarts"
I agree with this teacher completely. I think that anyway you can motivate a student to learn outside the box is the best thing that you will ever do for that student. The way children are raised now they have so much technology in their lives from such an early age, that it is imperative that we teach these children at the level they are learning at, with technology. I am the type person that is teachable like the teacher said in the video it is important that we can be taught as teachers; rather by your students, children, fellow employees, or by your instructor. Being open continually learning makes the best teacher, instructor, and most of all leader.

1 comment:

  1. "Now, thanks to his slide show, I do know some important statistics." What statistics do you now know that are important? Why are they important?

    "Since the Smart board has come into play in the classroom it adds an element of interaction to the lecturing part of education." An interesting question to which I have no answer: How many teachers with smartboards in their rooms know how to use them effectively? From what we have seen in visits to schools and from what teachers and students tell us I would guess less than half.

    "...his sister"? Ken Robinson's sister? Uhhh...

    Do you think all students should go on to college? I don't see the relationship between what you have written and Cecelia Gault's interview of Sir Ken Robinson. Did you watch her video?

    You need to work on your writing. This is especially true with regard to your paragraph about Vicki Davis. I will send you a separate Gmail covering this in more detail. It will be sent Thursday or Friday.

    ReplyDelete