Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blog Post # 5

Eagles' Nest Radio Episode #3  "Roaming With Ancient Romans"
 I found this podcast to be very informative, interesting, and very well organized. I enjoyed learning from this class of third graders about some facts that I was not aware of even as an adult. I young man who spoke of the entertainment of the Romans putting animals in an arena and letting them fight until the death. He didn't seem to like that because he said he would just stick  to going to the movies. The transitioning from one set of facts to another was very easy. The children did a great job of introducing the next student with the topic of the assignment. I like the idea of podcast in the classrooms. I t seems to me to be a great interactive tool for the children to do the research and then present it to their peers. I wish I knew of more schools in Mobile County that would adopt this great concept and put into action. What would be the cost to initiate such great learning tool? Or would teachers just think this is one more thing to add to their list of daily operations? I know that I would love to implement this in my future classroom.

Integrating ICT into the MFL Classroom: The Benefits of podcasting int he classroom
  The fact that the video has given a name to people who were born after 1980 millenials, just blew my mind. Millenials are referred to the technology age children. They have never experienced a life without personal computers and technology.  They are very familiar with pod casting,and creativity. This video brings an important point about how pod casting could be used with children who are absent. Teachers are can use pod casting to upload their lectures to that students who were absent can simply go online and upload the podcast and not miss a day of learning even though they couldn't be at school that day. I am really amazed by this idea and think every teacher should take this opportunity to their advantage. I would cut down on having to waste the time of the student and teacher by having to stay after school to reteach the lesson that had been missed. I would certainly use this technology in my classroom. I wonder just how many teachers who have been teaching for decades would use pod casting? 

A Thousand Ways to Use Your iPod And Learn to Study Better
  I found this site to be very informative. After reading it I started looking at my iPod and found come things to be very helpful with a math class I am taking right now. Most children today have this technology at their disposal, we should take the time in class to show them how to use the iPod for something other than just listening to music. The iPod is something that children and teens both will spend time on and if given the right approach show them how they can have the extra help with a subject they my be struggling with to get the extra help without feeling embarrassed about asking for extra help. I would certainly buy both of my children one, they have the older iPods, so that they could just search and get the help. When will we realize that we must come to terms with technology today and help our children to be technology-savvy?

4 comments:

  1. Melissa, it was crazy how much you can do with an Ipod, right? I never realized that all that was possible either. They should definitely have an understanding of all this technology, because this is what they are going to be using as professionals. Children are going to be on Ipods all of the time anyway, that's just the way things are, so they might as well know how to do something educational on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cost? Nothing if you have a microphone and access to a server.

    Good for you! You learned something immediately helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the thousand ways to use an Ipod, especially for studying. All of the podcasts videos were very informative, it is amazing that they can integrate technology into their classroom. The picture of the two children dressed as Ipods is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The talents of an iPod are taken for granted! :] We should take the time to learn about them so we can teach others how much iPods can really accomplish! Hopefully "old" teachers are open to learning how to podcast to benefit their classrooms. Good post!

    ReplyDelete